The WIC Program provides nutrition education, health care referrals, breastfeeding support and vouchers for nutritious supplemental foods at no cost to eligible Lake County residents. In doing so, WIC prevents more serious medical problems caused by poor nutrition.
WIC knows that good nutrition, starting with pregnancy, provides the best possible start for babies and children to grow up strong and healthy.
- Free health and nutrition screening
- WIC food packages offer whole grain options - including whole grain bread, brown rice, corn tortillas, or oatmeal, fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, juice, cheese, iron-fortified cereal, legumes (dried beans and peas), peanut butter and jarred baby foods. Breastfeeding is the recommended infant feeding choice and infants not breastfed receive iron-fortified formula.
- Free nutrition counseling and education; many session topics offered
- Breastfeeding counseling and free breast pumps for those in need
- Referrals for medical care, shots, and other services
- Coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables from local Farmer's Markets during summer months
- Family Case Managers work with WIC to support the health of clients and their children through clinic contacts and home visits by a public health nurse
- Pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants and children under 5 years of age
- Residents of Lake County (military personnel stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base are not required to reside in Lake County but must reside in Illinois)
- Have a family income at 185% or less of the federal poverty level
- Have a nutritional need (determined at the first WIC appointment)
Belvidere Medical Building
2400 Belvidere Road
Waukegan, IL 60085
(Just east of Keller)
Round Lake Beach
Midlakes Medical and Dental Building
224 Clarendon Avenue
Round Lake Beach, IL 60073
(On the corner or Cedar Lake and Clarendon)
North Chicago Health Center
2215 14th Street
North Chicago, IL 60064
North Shore Health Center
1840 Green Bay Road
Highland Park, IL
1819 27th Street
Zion, IL 60099
(South side of the street, approximately 1/2 mile west of Sheridan Rd.)
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call the location nearest you.